- Common foes can be united with a common enemy.
- Dogs will quite fighting when a cat or rabbit runs along their path
Fallen Condition Focus: Problems with Pharisaical Heart
Theme: We must overcome our own hearts evil tendencies.
Question: What will a Arrogant and Antagonistic heart will do?
1. An Antagonist heart will go over the same issue so as not to change (9:24-25)
- you will look for conspiracy
- Joshua 7:19 - worship God- tell the whole truth
- I will not unite in saying He is a sinner
- I will not turn aside to talk to the person.
2. An Antagonistic heart will try to trip others up (9:26-27).
- unbelief - doesn't focus on who but on the details of where one was or the program.
3. an Anganistic heart struggle with Authority (9:28-29)
- Disciples need no signs on them; they will be known
- 5:46 - haught boast
- Intellectual but no affect in their lives
- No trembling at the word
- Testimony was not authoritive
- Inconsistent - 7:27 and 9:29
4. an antagonist heart doesn't accept the power of prayer (9:30-34).
- not totally true -
- god hears sinners - Ishmael (Gen 21:17?); Israel in Egypt (Ex. 2:24)
- Sense: their pet Doctrines
5. an arrogant heart that is healed will worship (9:35-38)
- Transparent openess
- Light acted in a double way
- Lighted those who know their blindness
6. An Arrogant heart doesn't know it is lost and will be judged (9:39-40)
- pride and self sufficiency blinds us.
- Kyrie - "sir" (v. 36); "Lord" (v. 38)
- Proskyeno - worship is prostrate before - obedience to
- Leads to 20:28 - "My Lord and My God"
- Save Not condemn (12:47)
- "Son of Man" - One who is the reveation of God to man; uniquely speaks and reveals God
- Judge - just also give offense so one can turn from or
- in coming, hardened their heart because the their hatred of the light.
- 2 people: lost and know it; and proud and blind.