Define Extravagant - spending to much wastefully
Give examples - $2,000,000 on a wedding, $10,000 for hotel, $100,000 for an auto
Extravagant is normally bad useless it is focused on Christ
FCF: We are way to extravagant everything except for Christ
T/S: What is Broken/extravagant worship:
1. B/E Worship is sacrificial (1-3)
- 6 days - Friday evening (2 day in Mk and Mt. Are not referring to this but another event and then they go back and use this event as an example)
- At home of Simon the Leper - Relative?
- Anointing was the instrument that enabled the Pharisees through the instrumentality of Judas
- Supper - Reclined as normal with feat out
- Ointment - spikenard from India
- 1 year of Salary to buy
- you would break glasses of a distinguished guest similar to the breaking of the boxes of spices here for burial
- Brokenness leads to worship - they had to get to the end of themselves before they could enjoy Christ.
- Martha served not with Worry this time (1 Cor. 15:58) - not like in Luke 10:40
- How do we clip and shave our devotion to the Lord
- Illustration: Gift of the Majai - Della and Jim - hair and watch were their price possessions - Dela sold her hair for $20 to buy a chain for Jim's Watch; Jim Sold his watch for tortoise shell combs for Dela's hair.
2. B/E Worship is motivated by heart surrender (4-8)
- goodness of God in our misery leads to brokenness and then to repentance
- No heart cannot appreciate devotion
- Satan goading Judas; Holy Spirit moved Mary
- True valuation of Christ brings out hatred
- Love is never wasted - Phil 4:8
- forgiven little, Loves litter - Lk 7:47
- Those only anointed - Priests (Ex 29:7), Kings (2 Kings 9:3), Prophets (1 kings 19:16), Dead (John 19:39-40, Lk. 23:56, Mk. 16:1)
- Are we as surrendered as marry
- Anointed for burial - kept it for that purpose
- leave her along - Jesus protects his sheep from the wolf
- memorial - matt and Mark
- sy/ned/do/che - using to whole to represtent the part or part to represent the whole.
3. B/E Worship results from Growing in Grace - Sanctification (9-11)
- Curiosity is a powerful motive
- People will commit murder rather than admit they are wrong
- When box broken how was filled - everyone was made aware of it and it drifted outside too.
- If the Lord is worshiped it will be hard to keep it quiet
- The fragrance will fill us and follow us into a dying world
- B/E Worship is a key to missions
- Nothing is too sacrificial
- Nothing is lost by being surrendered
- Nothing is gained unless we grow to B/E Worship
- Has your life been Broken?
- Has your life been Poured out?
- Is there room for more Sacrifice
- Do you need to ask God for grace to grow and be more sanctified in order to worship