- Warnings scarcely converse everything in this passages, yout it emphaisz3s that which is most prominent in it
Warns Judas -@ beginning
Warns Peter - @ end
- Instructions for the beloved disciples in the nature of warnings–in between
Misinterpreting the nature of his death 31-32
Approaching departure – v.33
Love – v. 34
Manifest that they are his by love – v. 35
- Id – betrayer - Judas
Psalm 41:9:9Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.
Matthew 10:36: 36And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household.
We need more than example and instruction to move us to loving Christ.
- Simon Peter –
Sad results of self confidence
Philippians 3:3: 3For we are the real circumcision, who worship by the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh—
Human pt. of view – Peter fell at his strongest point – bold and courageous
He steped out on the water
Drew his sword in the Garden
Trembled at the presence of a made
in our conscious weakness that our strength lies
2 Corinthians 12:10: 10For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Had not learned that without sustaining grace he could do nothing
John 15:5: 5I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
Do we look upon others who fall like Peter would = full of self confidence
The seeds of every sin are latent in our hearts even when renewed
FCF: We don't confess our dependance on God but our self confidence
Theme: We need a sense of our own inate weakness
T/S – ways to overcome our self confidence
1. We Need to Learn to Love the Unfaithful vv. 21-23
2. We Need to Learn to Love the Truth vv. 24-26
3. We Need to Learn about the Schemes of the Devil vv. 27-30
4. We Need to Learn to Love God Being Glorified vv. 31-32
5. We Need to Learn to Love Loving vv. 34-35
6. We Need to Learn to Love Humility vv. 36-38