(Farewell fruitfulness )
Who are the persons addressed? – 11 apostles- believers only
In what connection are the addressed? Remote Context (ch. 13-14): Jesus has told us how he will comfort us when he is gone. Now we must bear fruit. Immediate context: There must be resurrection life before there is resurrection fruit
What is the central topic of address? Not initial salvation or loosing salvation, but the conditions of our fertility
Israel = vine in OT
Abiding refers to fellowship
Assures now that their connection with him and others will not be dissolved.
Fruitfulness is the goal
Text Subject: Fruitfulness is the evidence of true conversion
FCF: Our faith is not real if we are not absolutely dependent on the Vine for fruit.
Theme: Dependent fruit is the outcome of a genuine Christian life
Qustion: What are some conditions of fertility?
T/S: Conditions of fertility
- Being in right union to genuine vine (vv. 1-2)
- Being Pruned is the proof of fruit (v. 2)
- Being clean assures us salvation (v. 3)
- Being completely dependent on Christ v. 4
- having sustained communion with Christ v. 4
- having assurance v. 4
- having insufficiency in our selves (v. 4)
- Having no strength of our own (v. 5-6
- Having now works of our own power (vv. 5-6)